Monday, September 24, 2012

Communication Arts


I am learning so much at work and I had to share. We are in a degree for Strategic Communications, but that communication happens as much with pictures as it does with words. I am responsible for creating these five minute PowerPoint based presentations that will have questions at the end to check for understanding.

I have the privilege of working with one of our professionals over in Interactive Media Services that also happens to be an instructor at Otis College of Art and Design. (Click here to check the school out.) He and I had a couple of meetings and then I was off to design my PowerPoint slides. Well, let's just say I did not do well my first time out. I thought I had listened to everything he said, but alas to put it mildly...I FLOPPED.

He has shared so much with me over the last week about communicating visually and I know that this is enhancing the coursework I am doing here at NU. I feel at times though like I am in TWO Master's programs, because I have to get what he is teaching me quickly because we are under some stringent deadlines.

I would like to recommend to those of you that have to do visual presentations to really not only consider the words that go on your slides, but the images as well. The backdrop however can make or break a presentation. With budgets being reduced, we may not have the graphic staff of days before to make our words look pretty visually and so as Moshe' (my tutor/instructor/mentor) has said it is important to know how to use the tools available to you.

Some recommended reading will follow. Who knew...but as the old saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Duarte, N. (2008). slide:ology. Cambridge, MA: O'Reilly.

Reynolds, G. (2010). Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations. Berkeley, CA: New Riders.

Williams, R. (2008). The Non-Designer's Design Book. Berkeley, CA: Peachpit Press.

Wood, B. (2010). Teach Yourself Visually PowerPoint 2010. Indianapolis, IN: Wiley Publilshing, Inc.

A couple of websites he recommended were:

Powerpoint design tips for beginners (Read this first)


General design tips:

No comments:

Post a Comment